Sunday, February 22, 2009

Conqueror

Anyone who knows me well knows that I love to sing, but I am absolutlely terrified of singing in front of people. I do it all the time at home, but it even took me a while to sing in front of the dear, sweet Cox's. :) Amy is perfectly amazing and that was part of it, but I truly hate singing in front of people.

So of course, without fail, I was assigned the lovely chore of singing for sacrament meeting this week. :) It was a song I already knew, which definately helped, and I was just singing the melody with Cassie, so in theory, it wasn't hard at all. The part that scared me the most, was that I knew I should be scared and have really bad butterflies, but they didn't come. I woke up this morning and had a sinking feeling of, "Oh no! It's today!" But I turned over and slept for a little longer before we met at the church for one more practice. The butterflies still didn't come, and I was frightened, because that only means that they are going to be ten times worse when they do come.

I was strangely calm the entire meeting, and I kept telling myself that I should be scared, but I wasn't. Once Sis. Munson finished speaking it was our turn, and I took a deep breath and walked up. The walk is always scary, and I had the beginning of butterflies then, but we stood there, and I looked out, and all I could see were people that loved me. They didn't care if I messed up, they probably wouldn't notice anyway. They all loved me. The beginning was a little shaky, but I did it. And the strangest thing of all, I didn't get any butterflies whatsoever. None. In the beginning I was scared, but I was singing to people I loved. I'm not sure I fully understood that everyone was listening to me, but it didn't matter. I was perfectly calm.

Today will go down in history as the day that Taylor Anderson conquered her fear of singing. I'm not afraid. Not a bit! It makes me so happy! I did it. I'm not amazing, and I'm sure I'll still get scared, but it's gone for now. :) I can do it!

I've found a bunch of scriptures that are related to fear, and I love them all, so I'm just going to list them here, but they're all amazing. :)
D&C 6:36
Deut. 31:6,8
Josh. 1:9
Dan. 10:19
2 Kings 6:16
Isa. 41:10

6 comments:

Krystal said...

You silly goose. I am glad you were not nervous. One thing that I love about singles ward is the chior. Our chior director tells us all the time that he doesn't care how we sound, all that he cares about is that we sing with the spirit. It takes a lot of the worry out of doing a perfect job, because we just put our faith in the Lord and ask him to carry the spirit of the song into the hearts of the people we are singing with. I wish I could have been there to hear you sing!

Breanna said...

Taylor! You're amazing!! So, now that you're not scared anymore may I request a private concert...hehe! I know you have the most beautiful voice and I know someone that would agree...his name starts with a T and ends in an yson! :)

Yay! We're going on choir tour together! Disneyland! Wahoo! We're going to have the time of our lives!

Logan Thomas said...

"starts with a T and ends in an yson"
Trevor Dyson?

Really though, you have a very beautiful voice (which is why I wanted you to try out for that solo)! It must be a big relief to be so calm for a performance. I'm jealous of both your serenity and your voice.

...Actually no, I can't sing as high as you, I'll keep my own voice. But I'll content myself by attending that private concert you are going to give Breanna.

Diana Renae said...

Oh I'm coming too! Taylor you are so amazing. And inspiring! I wish I could have been there to hear you, I'm sure it was so gorgeous.

I always get very scared to sing, but I'm happy to know that it can be conquered!! Hooray for Taylor! Well you deserve the comfort verrry much because you always make me feel better!

I look forward to your concert darling :]

Mimi said...

Taylor - you are so silly. You have a beautiful voice, and your singing on Sunday was just wonderful. You all did a fabulous job. Isn't it wonderful when you are able to focus on the spirit and message of the song instead of being nervous in the delivering of it. :) I know you will have many more opportunities to share your wonderful talent! Just remember it is a gift- one that is best shared! I am proud of you! Keep singing!

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys! You are all amazing! :) I love you tons!