Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Hot Apple Cider

Tuesday was a whir of running around town doing errands and scrambling to get my photography final ready to turn in. In the midst of this frantic mess I drove past two little kids sitting out in the cold next to a card table with some lovely treat atop it. Lemonade stand in December? It reminded me of all of my failed attempts as a child to do the very same thing. We live by a dead end and so not many people came down our little street. We never sold very much lemonade, even if it was the raspberry kind.

I decided to support these brave souls and when I drove past again I stopped to see what treats they had. The little girl was the only one there, standing in front of a crockpot full of hot apple cider. She was kind enough to inform me that the cookies were "sold out." So I donated my dollar to the cause and got a steaming cup of cider. I haven't ever loved cider, I prefer hot cocoa, but then again I haven't tasted it in a long time. But this warm cup of deliciousness was infinitely better than I remember. I felt excited for Christmas again, a feeling that has been gone for the past few weeks due to stress. But the simplicity of those kids, and the warmth of cider made my day and gave me hope that "this too shall pass."

And now I have an insatiable craving for apple cider. When I get home I'll raid the pantry, there has got to be some somewhere!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Tina! Did you catch that? Tay wants apple cider when she comes home. You better stock up! :)

I love this story. Oh how I wish I could have seen them! I need a cup of hot apple cider too. I've been lacking Christmas Spirit the past few weeks as well. If that's the cure, I'll find a way!