Monday, June 13, 2011

Fore!

Golf is a game invented by classy looking men that want to hit a ball without [heaven forbid!] breaking a sweat. And they drive around a golf cart so that they don't actually have to exercise. What is the fun in that?

In spite of my tendency to make fun of golf, I had the chance to go with my singles ward and so I went. It couldn't be that bad. I grabbed my mom's dusty clubs and headed off to Hobble Creek Golf Course.

Since few of us actually knew what we were doing we played a really relaxed game. Instead of the traditional rules we played "scramble". These are the basics:
Each player tees off on each hole. The best of the tee shots is selected and all players play their second shots from that spot. The best of the second shots is determined, then all play their third shots from that spot, and so on until the ball is holed. 
This was good because between the four of us someone could usually land a decent shot. It was rarely me, but I tried! It was at this point that I realized golf is a little harder than it looks. And since I had to swing six times for every shot, I got tired quite easily. There was also an incredible amount of wind, and so I attribute most of my horribleness to the wind. 


In my group I was fortunate enough to have the lovely Breanna [who showed me the wonderfullness of ball cleaning machines], as well as McKinzie and her boyfriend Addison [quite possibly the cutest couple I have ever seen]. None of us really knew what we were doing, and so it was fun. We also, *ahem* cheated a lot. My favorite was standing behind the hole so that the ball would roll in, we called it the "backboard". We also didn't count strokes [or my score would easily be 500] and we liked to move the ball to the middle of the fairway. For a first time golfing, it's more fun if you cheat.

Somebody knew enough to tell us that the big fat #1 is for hitting things a long way, but after that we were a bit lost. The #6 or the #7? What does P stand for? When it came time to choose a mid-range club [not the fat #1 or the putter] I looked and thought to myself, "Hmmm, I haven't used the #3 one yet!"

I'm going to go pro someday, can't you tell?

After 9 holes of golf I was exhausted [no golf cart = walk two miles] and the next day I was incredibly sore in places that I've never hurt before. I now respect golf as a sport. It's still a wimpy sport, don't get me wrong, but it takes some skill. 

On a final note: My family loves Bill Engvall and this is one of his comedy routines that is our favorite, and it is worth listening to


[note: this link is for Rhapsody. You can listen to it free and without any commitments or downloads, just make sure to disable your pop-up-blocker. I promise, this is so worth it.]

3 comments:

Hilary said...

I like you.

E said...

Haha, you and Breanna are so cute. :) Golf is pretty fun with a cart. If you go again, you'll have to get one. I went with my brother one time, and the best part was racing around the fairways. :)

Jess said...

You are brave Tay. B-R-A-V-E. I'm terrible at trying new things...especially new sports! I think back to our good ol' days in Billiards. Oh wait. That's right. I was only in that for a day. ;)Props to you! And for the record, I'm all for cheating.