That afternoon Hilary, Michelle and I went to the DI to scavenge out good costumes. Hilary wanted to be a fairy, so we looked for any fairy-like piece of clothing that caught our eye. I was still in a conundrum. For several years I have had the intense desire to be Alice in Wonderland, but that costume I'm going to need to make myself if I want it to fit and/or cover me completely. So we looked for anything I might possibly be able to wear.
For Hilary we found a light purple dress with this leafy lace around the neck that looked really fairy-like, but it reached to the floor and the sleeves all the way to her wrists. Very 90's, but fixable. I decided last minute to be Wendy and I found a halfway decent nightgown, but it still looked grandma-ish. (I used it later to dress up in my Aerobics class for extra credit.) Later that day we also paid a visit to Halloween City where Hilary found the perfect pair of fairy wings and a magic wand.
When we got home we began dressing for the party. Shanna dressed up as a pirate, I borrowed Hilary's flapper dress, and then Hilary donned the purple wonder. Scissors in hand I transformed the dress into a fairy costume. We found the right length, cut the bottom jagged, got rid of the hideous sleeves and fixed the bunchy waistline. It was incredibly simple but made the dress look fantastic.
I decided that day that I love fixing clothes, and, by extension, sewing. I wasn't able to do any sewing, but I realized how much I miss it and that I'm handy with a needle. I don't like making clothes, but I love making them better. Jess hears me talk all the time about how I need to sew this or that or fix this sleeve. And I realized I truly love that! Someday I'll get my own sewing machine and I'll have enough time to fix things.
I'm extremely happy with how Hilary's dress turned out, and she liked it too! So I consider it a success.
We also found an oddity in Hilary's wings. There were two bungy straps that were attached to the inside. Does anyone know what they are used for? They certainly would not fit around the waist of anyone over the age of 5, and so I suggested that you wrap them around your head... We are still mysified by this strange projection.
Needless to say our trio looked fabulous!
The dance was wonderful. For Halloween treats they made kitty litter, cow manure, throw up, diahrrea,... I tried them all. They were delicious but I'm not really a fan of the disgusting Halloween names. The dance was crowded, but what can you expect in a small Old Farm apartment? As usual I didn't know many of the songs, but I had a blast dancing with Shanna and Hilary. Now I can officially say that I have attended a real college dance party. Wahoo!


2 comments:
This is so great! Way to go Taylor. Flapper fringe is always a good time.
You are adorable! I love your costume! :)
Post a Comment