Friday, February 18, 2011

The Real McCoy

Once upon a time... there was a girl's choice dance. I decided to go last-minute, and with no adequate dress for the occasion I turned to my stalwart friend, the DI.

The DI is one of my favorite places EVER. There is always something cheesy, hilarious, or awesome waiting for you. I needed a semi-decent dress so I browsed the racks of discarded clothes looking for something suitable.

$30 dollars later I had three dresses that I absolutely could not part with.

Dress #1 was a salmon-colored, pleated 20's dress that fell in love with, because I practically should have been born in that era. How can you argue with $5?

Dress #2 was a standard formal that looked very princessy and just needed to be cut to tea-length--my back up plan in case I wasn't brave enough for dress #3.

Dress #3 was a lacy, homemade-looking yellow dress that was certainly not your run-of-the-mill formal. Empire waist, sunshine yellow, and an abundance of lace around the neck. It looks kind of ridiculous on the hanger, but I put it on... and fell in love. (I added the ribbon later to make it match better with white.) The lace reached down to cover the shoulder and I had full range of motion in my arms--which was a huge bonus, especially since I had a tall date.

The lacy-ness of it seems like something that might have been popular in the 70's, but it didn't look unfashionable or dated. It was almost reminiscent of the Regency era, and I felt like Elizabeth Bennett wearing it.

The only real way to describe it is classy. I kind of loved it a lot.

While buying the dress I concocted this grand idea of what to wear with it, namely: a long strand of pearls and elbow length white gloves. The idea was so lovely that I couldn't just let it go, so I conceded to the (ridiculously expensive) white gloves, and it was worth it. As for pearls, I borrowed a set from my dear friend Hilary that were fabulous! I looked classy. Much love.

Cue [Frank Sinatra] music...


The date itself was grand. I went with a good friend and was able to relax, be crazy, and have one night of honest to goodness fun. He taught me a bit of country swing, and for the last song we interpretive danced to "My Heart Will Go On"--emphasis on the interpretive dance. He's kind of eccentric, and it was delightful! Delicious food, dancing, a gorgeous dress, chivalry, what more could a girl want?

P.S. For the purposes of this blog I decided to look up [slang used in the 20's]. Fantastic. I wish we still talked like this...

My favorites:
Applesauce- an expletive same as horsefeathers, As in "Ah applesauce!"
Bank's Closed - no kissing or making out - i.e. - "Sorry, Mac, the bank's closed."
Don't take any wooden nickels - Don't do anything stupid
Dry up - shut up, get lost
Ducky - very good
Flat Tire - A dull witted, insipid, disappointing date
Goofy - in love
Hotsy-Totsy - Pleasing
Jake - OK, as in , "Everything is Jake."
Level with me - be honest
Putting on the Ritz - after the Ritz hotel in Paris; doing something in high style
Razz- to make fun of
Real McCoy - The genuine article
Scram - Ask someone to leave immediately
Spifflicated - Drunk. The same as canned, corked, tanked, primed, scrooched, jazzed, zozzled, plastered, owled, embalmed, lit, potted, ossified or fried to the hat (That is just way too funny!)
Spiffy - An elegant appearance
Swanky - Ritzy
What's eating you? - What's wrong?

Pretty much, I love the 20's. And I am totally going to start saying "ducky" and "Jake."

6 comments:

E said...

This is so great! :) haha, that yellow dress was MADE for you. :D Taylor, we should make a time machine and go back to the 20's for a while.

Jessica Grosland said...

Awesome slang words! I am seriously inspired!

MOM said...

I remember using some of those words and phrases! Ah APPLESAUCE, that means I'm very old--but seriously not from the 20's! I think it would be DUCKY to use these slang words, but you know me, I'd end up twisting them up and say something like, "what's chewing you?" or "don't take any nickels!" or "the post office is closed!"

Jess said...

Haha! Okay...Tina? You make me laugh hysterically. All I can think of after your comment is the time I was over at your lovely home and you were retelling the tale of the waiter who probably spit on your food: "Open foot! Insert mouth!" :D haha. Yes. This Twenties slang may be contorted to even grander proportions if you start using it too! ;) Haha. Much love!!!!


And Taylor? I'm so stinkin' proud of you!!! Holy Toledo! Best dance ever. Certainly! And that dress needs another reason to be worn. Which is why I insist that a tea party MUST "transcur!" Please? :)

kait said...

AAAAH I LOVE YOUR DRESS!!!! It is so Swanky! LOVE. ESPECIALLY the pearls and white gloves. Gloves are just spiffy all around. (I am loving this 20s slang thing)

Kim said...

Ha ha ha. I love DI too! It is basically my favorite place in the world. I mean-cheap clothes and a good laugh, what more could you want?? And it looks like you got some awesome finds. Good job! You look fantastic!