Monday, May 24, 2010

Magic at the Park

Adam's Park is the most wonderful park in the world. Reasons include, but are not limited to:

Swings: A set of six marvelous swings stands next to the Elementary School, absolutely perfect for a swinging escape. They are 15 foot tall megaliths of steel, seasoned by hundreds of elementary school children, and years in the sun. Swinging is one of my favorite activities, an I could do it for hours upon hours. It's the closest thing to flying I have ever encountered, because planes just don't do it justice. Feeling the wind rush past you, and pumping your legs, begging the wind to take you higher and higher. It's a natural ecstasy that I never get tired of. If you haven't been swinging in a while, I suggest you try it--you will not regret it.

Playground: Watching children scampering up slides, hanging on monkey bars, and chase each other around a playground is a very entertaining venture. Their wild and careless attitude is contagious, a magic that I wish I could capture in a bottle and use at my pleasure. Playing on plastic slides are a means for escape back to a time when your only worry was your mother's dreaded voice calling you home. That happiness has been lost for a while, but I make it a goal to play on a playground this summer, as a stress reliever. Most definitely. :)

Building: In the middle of this park stands an old, battered, stone building. It is boarded up and covered with white wash. There are no signs or any indication as to what this building might have been used for, it simply sits there. It looks like it used to be a meeting house, with a food service area. Perhaps a pavilion type building, but it's sealed and traditional park pavilion is used instead. Mysterious old buildings are enchanting, and having one in this park makes it all the more magical.

Benches: I honestly cannot pinpoint why I love benches so much. It's the timeless, unchanging aspect that benches are rooted in place and they see so many people, so many lives. Think of a bench in Central Park, it sees the morning man with his coffee cup and newspaper. It sees the old lady feeding the pigeons, and the man taking his dog for a walk. The mother wrestling with her many kids, and the career woman eating lunch.Through my life they have become a symbol of safety, simplicity, romance. I simply love benches!

Willow Trees: I believe these are one of the most magical trees in existence. They sweep the ground and provide protection with their long boughs. You can hide in the greenery secluded from the world, and time seems to slow. It wraps you in a warm hug and keeps you safe from the harsh reality that lies waiting at the edge of the park. Grandmother Willow is an image that we all have impressed in our minds, and I've always wished I could speak with trees. But a willow really is a grandmother tree. She holds you, keeps you safe, and tells you everything will be alright. Nothing can go wrong in her arms. That's how a willow makes me feel.

Stone Wall: A short retaining wall borders one side, making the sloping hills of Logan flat enough to build a park. It's just as old as the building, a mismatched pile of stones with excess mortar holding it together. Lichen clings to the rough edges, and it is crumbling in some places. It stalwartly serves it's function, and keeps it's foot and a half held high. It is perfectly picturesque, and begs to be walked upon--which we did. :)

Cherry Trees: The most magical part is saved for last. There are over 15 of these marvelous trees lining the walkway through the park. They are all covered with bright pink blossoms that are the perfect symbol of spring. We went on a picnic to this park on the exact perfect day because petals were literally raining from these trees! Petals were constantly falling in our drinks and in our food, but we determined that they weren't poisonous, so ingesting one wasn't a fear.

After the picnic we were irresistibly drawn to the beauty of this park, and so we took many wonderful pictures. It was absolutely the most perfect day! Petals raining from the sky! Nothing could be more perfect!

I cannot even begin to describe this wonderful experience in words, so I will let my pictures (and captions) do the talking. :)

The beautiful blossoms that rained upon us. Rain, rain, come and stay....


Attempting...


Succeeding!


i. heart. you.


Adorable Jess!


I love this picture! And I love Jess' shoes! This shows how thick the petals were--everywhere!


"I want to lay you down in a bed of roses..." -Jon Bon Jovi


She's a keeper!


On our walk home we discovered a forgotten lot that was completely covered in dandelions. This opportunity was to much to pass up, especially with a camera in hand! There was much wishing involved, because there were dandelions everywhere!

I'm wishing... for the one I love...to find me...today!


Shall I compare thee to a dandelion...



And that concludes our perfectly magical day at the park. :)

2 comments:

Jess said...

And I know I just told you all this face to face! But now I'm going to comment about it. Taylor - I love your writings!!! This day was perfect. :)

Breanna said...

I love all of your posts! You are the most lovely person I know! Seriously Taylor, you are right out of a fairy tale book. :)