Monday, May 17, 2010

Monumental Move-In Day

8:30 AM--Alarm, quickly followed by Snooze button
8:40 AM--Snooze button
8:50 AM--Snooze button
9:00 AM--Snooze button
9:10 AM--FINE. I'll get up.

The morning was spent packing the remaining bags and boxes into my tiny car. I could actually see out the back window this time, so driving wasn't as dangerous. Miraculously everything fit--everything I remembered to take. Since then Jess and I have put together quite a list of things we need. :)

After a quick lunch I began the long drive to Logan. Much fun.

Once I got to Logan Main I suddenly panicked. My auto pilot clicked off and I suddenly had no idea what to do. I wanted to go home--to Rich Hall. But there were bare walls and locked doors waiting there. I knew I was supposed to go the managers office for our apt complex, but I was so frightened. I'm not ready to be a grown up, and acting like one scared me even more. There was a slight moment of panic when I realized that I had to remember where the office was. Of course I knew, but in that moment of panic my mind pulled up blank. I told myself to breathe, and once I calmed down I found it no problem. It was easy, and the man was so kind, it made me feel much better.

I searched our apartment for our roommate Alaina, but she was no where to be found. We met her for a few brief seconds before we went to bed, but we haven't seen much of her otherwise.

So I unloaded and unloaded and unloaded. Jess came as soon as I finished, so I helped with her stuff too. Our apartment was littered with boxes and bags--and still is. I'm still in the process of deciding whether or not to live out of boxes for the next three months... This apartment has a severe lack of storage space in the rooms and closets. I'm also in need of a desk for classes next month... so we might have to invest in one at the DI. Needless to say we are in need of furniture because we only have the barest of bare essentials. But we will deal with it for the summer. 

I discovered that this apartment is a cell phone bunker. I get terrible service, and this makes me so very sad. So I apologize if I don't answer texts or calls--I blame it entirely on the house.

While I was unloading I saw this on the fridge. My uneasiness at moving in to a vacant apartment, and my extreme need for something familiar was cured by a simple magnet. And all of you who know me can tell that I indeed love princesses, especially Belle. So before Jess came to cure me of my nervousness, Belle was my happiness. :)

Once we finished packing and Jessica's family left--for the second time--we were visited by Phil and Jake, and eventually Tim. Phil brought over his TV and is letting us use it this summer, which is very much appreciated. We have everything else, but no TV, and not having that would be a bummer, all summer. 

Tim wanted to go to DI and Smiths, and so we tagged along. Jess and I decided to look for a desk and after reviewing many options decided on the yellow plastic Playskool one with a desk lamp. Just kidding. We are still in the market, but it was an irresistible picture. Anyone have an extra $20 to donate to the Jessica/Taylor desk fund?

We also spied the most amazing purple armchair at the DI. It wins. We wanted so badly to buy it, but just like the desk, we currently don't have the money. It was the most amazing chair though... and it reminded me of the chairs on UP! that Carl and Ellie have. Mine would most certainly be purple. :)

We visited Smiths and bought bread, milk, eggs and bananas. The staples of life. We had no clue what we needed at this point. The boys tried to convince us to go out to eat, but we decided to stay home and save our money. It was a most delicious dinner of Ramen Noodles and Peanut Butter and Banana sandwiches. Those were about the only two things we could make. Our first dinner in the apartment was a success. Our roommate had still not appeared and so Jessica made the remark that we're like a married couple because there are only the two of us. :) Go Jess.

We have a most interesting and purely ugly couch. I love it simply because it is so wretched looking. Warning: If you plop onto it there is no bounce back, and so it is not quite comfortable. It is slightly better than the couch that leaves lines on your face, but it is still a ghetto couch. I love it. The pattern is what makes me love this couch. Look how wretched it is. Jessica and I decided that each line looks like something different. So humor us by seeing our creative shapes. :)


Starting on the left we have a figure that looks much like a rope. Next we have a lovely imitation of camels lying down--make sure to tilt your head. Next to that the reddish blobs with green dots are reminiscent of red blood cells, courtesy of Jessica. The zig zag shape we decided was either mountains or tepees and the yellowy blobs look like sushi. Our crowning achievement though is the last row. We decided they look like tumorous hearts with a bite taken out of them. Winner.

The fish had been contained all day, and we suddenly remembered them and decided to get them some clean water. Jessica opened the lid of the transport-carrying-case-yogurt-container-with-holes, and little Brandon was afloat on top, lifeless. He didn't even get to see his new home! We began with six and now we are tragically left with two. I am going to be very sad now when they all die. We had a funeral for Brandon Fish, the Brave. He will be missed.

As we were sitting on the couch we heard the distinct chirp of a smoke detector out of batteries. The office was definitely closed by that time, and they would  be closed Sunday as well we figured, and going the entire weekend with a chirping smoke alarm did not sound pleasant. We soon discovered that we had no soap or toilet paper for the bathrooms, and so for all of these reasons it was necessary to make a trip to Walmart. On our way to the checkout stand we stumbled across a box of sidewalk chalk for $2. Happiness--in a box. :) Mallory, when you come: park, cartwheels, and CHALK! I'm so excited! 

It was only after we bought the batteries that we realized we could just take the empty one out for the weekend and then call the office... now we have two expensive 9v batteries that are absolutely useless. Oh well. :)

Our night was completed by a vicious battle of Mario Kart. Phil, Jake, Jess and me played the first round in a track which came to be known as "Fall Off Land." It was a difficult track and Jess and I fell off constantly. We were terrible. We played a few EASIER rounds until a few other girls came and then we were more or less on even ground. It was a cutthroat battle trying not to fall off, trying to press the right buttons, and avoiding quicksand and tornadoes... I lost most of the time, but it was a wicked awesome battle. 

We got home and still had not unpacked a single thing. We dumped everything off our beds and made them fit enough to sleep in. And crashed. It was a long, full day. But full of fun!

4 comments:

Rachel Peckham said...

HAHA! Oh man, that sounds like a fun first day. I want to come visit sometime! I hope you guys can find new batteries.. smoke detectors suck. But HEY! Bright side! No 4 AM evacuations!!

Goaslind Gang said...

Taylor! Oh my gosh. Love this! I'm so pumped for my visit! Hmmm... Definitely gonna need to be soon... Hope that's okay :]

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for your visit Mal! Jess and I talk about it all the time! We thought of another thing we have to do--but I've forgotten it. :( I'll try to remember.

Jess said...

The perfect documentation to a perfectly busy day. I'm so glad you wrote this day out! We did so much! So much that I'm sure I'd have forgotten it by now. It's only been 4 days!