Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Physiological Findings

Due to my extreme love for the human body [and Mallory's voiced interest in the matter] I've decided to start posting my "Physiological Findings"--[credit goes to Mal for the title!]. There are so many wonderful, and miraculous things that happen in this tabernacle of clay, and I wish to share them with you, my dear friends. So here is the first of many posts sharing the knowledge I have acquired. Enjoy!

Today's Topic: Medical Terminology for Dummies

You've heard of the patella, Achilles tendon, epidermis, and the medulla oblongata. Maybe gluteus maximus and ischial tuberosities are also on the familiar list. But here is a list of medical words that you've probably never heard before, and yet you use them everyday.
Pollux -- thumb
Hallux -- the "Great" toe
Olecranon -- bone that makes the prominence of the elbow
Calcaneus -- tarsal bone that makes the prominence of the heel
Antecubital fossa -- opposite the elbow, where they commonly draw blood
Supraorbital margin -- region where the eyebrow is located
Acromion -- bony prominence of the shoulder
Scapula -- shoulder blade
Anterior crest of the tibia -- shin
Ulnar nerve -- commonly mistaken for the "funny bone"
Orbicularis oris -- muscles that pucker the lips
Pinna -- the external cartilaginous portion of the ear
Palpebrae -- eyelids
Philtrum -- [Latin for "a love charm"] the indent above your lips
Mentum -- chin
Interphalangeal joints -- knuckles
Umbilicus -- belly button, navel
Axillary region -- armpit
Natal cleft -- crack between your bum cheeks ; )
Flexion creases -- folds of skin on the back of your knuckles
Acetabulofemoral joint -- hip joint
And lastly I leave you with a medical definition:
Kiss: juxtaposition of two orbicularis oris muscles in a state of contraction.

4 comments:

The Larsen's said...

Tay that's awesome. And some of them I did know! Thanks to Chelsea and helping her study in Anatomy.

Mallory Belle said...

LOVE. Your definition of a kiss is now on our quote wall. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Lol. I love it. :D My favorites are "natal cleft" (butts are just funny) and "anterior crest of the tibia". From now on I shall say "aw, he kicked me in the anterior crest of the tibia!!" :D He he...

Tina said...

Taylor, you speaka my language! I even dream in Latin! Love, mom